The Bligh Museum is a privately-run history museum at Adventure Bay, Bruny Island. Bruny Island lies off the south coast of Tasmania and is accessed by a 15-minute car ferry from Kettering, a 40-minute drive south of Hobart (34 km).
Built from thousands of convict-made bricks, the Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration features a specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. A display of maps, documents, paintings and other artefacts offers a historical record of visits to Adventure Bay by explorers Captain William Bligh, Captain James Cook, Tobias Furneaux, Matthew Flinders and Admiral Joseph-Antoine Bruny D’Entrecasteaux. Notable works by Tobin, Webber and Hodges are also included in the collection. The Museum’s foundation stone was laid on 9th September 1955 – the 200th anniversary of Captain William Bligh’s birth.
Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.