Tasmania’s Far South is just a 1–2 hour drive from Hobart, but feels worlds away. This peaceful pocket at the bottom of the world is home to a variety of attractions including walks, food and art, so it’s easy to spend a few days or weeks relaxing and exploring. Choose from a stunning range of accommodation in the Far South and nearby Huon Valley, with places suited to romantic retreats, fun getaways with friends, family holidays by the beach, or anything in between.
We’ve put together some tips on where to stay on your Far South adventure, but be sure to browse through the full suite on Where to Stay. To keep it simple, we’ve listed each place once, but please keep in mind that some accommodation is relevant across multiple categories.
The Far South’s abundant natural beauty sets the perfect tone for a romantic escape with your beloved.
- Shanleys Huon Valley is a short drive north of Dover and features a sunken spa with panoramic views.
- Ashdowns of Dover Bed and Breakfast is a beautiful country house with cosy rooms for couples.
- The Shackeau is a self-contained two-bedroom cottage with a divine outdoor tub looking over the water at Southport.
- Buttongrass Retreat is a modern two-bedroom cabin set amongst a 20-hectare private reserve at Ida Bay. This eco-retreat is free from modern distractions—reconnect with nature and each other!
- The Peninsula Experience is an exclusive hideaway set on a private gated peninsula with 200 acres of wilderness, wildlife, and water to explore. The Boat House is specially designed for couples.
Getaway with friends
Get the posse together for a fun weekend away.
- Esperance Landing is a three-bedroom waterfront house at beautiful Brooks Bay.
- Fair Winds Tasmania offers luxurious three-bedroom accommodation on the banks of the Huon River.
- Self-contained cottage Tides Reach is ideal for a two-couple trip, steps away from the white sands of Pottery Beach.
- The Jetty House is a charming historic home. You can book a ‘bed and breakfast’ room or the whole house as self-contained accommodation for up to 12 guests.
- The Cape House at The Peninsula Experience is perfect for nature-loving groups.
- Rock Lobster is a beautiful three or four bedroom holiday home, perfect for adult group getaways to the seaside (with a private hot tub under the stars).
Make those memories.
- Sea Eagle Sands is a modern two-bedroom home by Roaring Beach.
- Smugglers Rest self-contained units are great for families, with the two-bedroom apartments boasting beach views.
- Driftwood Cottages offers deluxe self-contained accommodation, with waterfront studios, a range of cottages, and the Driftwood Cottages Beach House.
- Nurture the kids’ love of nature at peaceful Southern Forest Accommodation (keep an eye out for wildlife).
If your family includes a fur baby, head to one of these pet-friendly spots.
- Two-bedroom Castaway Cottage is a relaxed, beachside haven at Dover.
- The Southport Hotel & Caravan Park is pet and budget-friendly, offering self-contained units, cabins, and powered and unpowered camping sites.
- The Dover Beachside Tourist Park offers a great range of budget-friendly cabins, powered and unpowered camping sites.
- Download the Huon Valley app: it’s your own pocket-sized travel guide.
- Pop into the Huon Valley Visitor Centre at Huonville or the Geeveston Visitor Centre for a chat with the friendly locals, insider travel tips, and assistance with bookings.
- Browse things to do, where to stay, eat and drink, the events calendar and our blog.
50 Things to Do in Tasmania’s Huon Valley & Far South
Artists, Markers & Growers of Southern Tasmania
Explore Southern Tasmania from the Water
Best Walks in the Huon Valley & Far South Tasmania
A Weekend Away in Tasmania’s Far South
Explore Large-Scale Art Installations in the Huon
50 Things to Do with Kids