Tasmania’s exquisite cool climate wines are quite something (and have collected a nice array of awards). If you’re fond of a vino, head south. We’ve put together some tips on the best wineries south of Hobart.
- Visit Hartzview Vineyard‘s cellar door at Gardners Bay to taste their premium range of wines, as well as fortified fruit ports, liqueurs, and spiced apple liqueur mead. Enjoy a light lunch, cheese platter, or dessert in the vineyard cafe. Walk it off with a stroll back in time through the Heritage Pickers Hut Village.
- Anim Wine at Tinderbox produce small batch wines that they mostly sell via mailing list. Visitors are welcome by appointment for an intimate tour of their winery (and home). Harvest time is always a great time to visit—they can even put you to work for a real hands-on experience!
- Bruny Island Premium Wines, Bar & Grill is located on the outskirst of Lunawanna. Enjoy lunch (or dinner Saturday nights during daylight savings) in a relaxed alfresco dining area overlooking the vineyard. The menu specialises in quality Bruny Island produce—choose from tapas, gourmet burgers, and platters, all perfectly matched with their premium cool climate wines.
The Huon Valley
- Visit Home Hill Winery at Ranelagh for a Tasmanian-inspired lunch paired with their award-winning wines. As you indulge, enjoy stunning views of the surrounding vines, pastures, livestock and mountains.
- Kate Hill Wines‘ cellar door at Huonville welcomes visitors to taste the flagship range as well as some exciting small-batch single-vineyard wines.
- Elsewhere Vineyard overlooks the scenic Huon River at Glaziers Bay, and is also a working farm with an assortment of friendly animals. At the relaxed cellar door, visitors can taste the wines, discover some vineyard history, learn how the wine is grown, and hear about daily life on the vineyard and farm.
- Two Bud Spur is a boutique vineyard at Gardners Bay, producing cool climate wines in a peaceful rural setting. Visit their unique eco-friendly straw bale winery and cellar door to try current release wines plus exclusive, selected aged wines.
- It’s best to check up-to-date opening hours and booking requirements with the individual businesses (some change seasonally).
- Winery tours are a perfect excuse for a cheeky getaway, so book yourself some lovely accommodation and make a trip of it!
- Please arrange safe transport, such as a fun food and wine tour, designated driver, or taxi/Uber.
Annual Events Guide
A Gourmet Guide to Bruny Island
A Food, Drink & Art Walk Loop in the Huon & Channel
Our Guide: Artists, Makers & Growers of Southern Tasmania
Your Free Southern Trove 2020 Visitor Guide is Here
6 Stunning Walks on Bruny Island
Home Hill Vineyard & Winery Restaurant via the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse