Are you dreaming of a lovely little getaway? The cooler months are perfect for a cosy escape! Picture yourself all rugged up, relaxing on a private deck in the sun, enjoying serene water views. After the sun goes down, imagine curling up by a roaring wood fire with a good book and glass of local plonk.
1. Brooks Bay
Brooks Bay sits between the townships of Geeveston and Dover, around an hour’s drive south from Hobart. Take time to stop along the way at the local cider houses, wineries, cafes, and attractions. This quiet beauty is the perfect hideaway, but if you do want to explore the surrounding region, go for a drive to Tahune Adventures Tasmania and walk among the treetops or try some gentle river rafting.
- Fair Winds is a modern three-bedroom holiday home on the banks of the Huon River. Rise early and watch the sunrise, wander to the riverbank, fish off the rocks, and spot birdlife in the surrounding bush. Soak in the deep bathtub, then snuggle by the wood fire.
- Esperance Landing is a beautiful three-bedroom house in quiet surrounds, with private waterfront access—perfect for a romantic getaway. Enjoy stunning water views from your private hot tub.
Image: Fair Winds, @essentiallytas/Instagram
Discover a slower pace of life in the pretty fishing village of Dover, a 1 hour 15 minute drive south from Hobart. This gem is located on the head of Port Esperance, gazing out to the islands of Faith, Hope and Charity.
Indulge in freshly caught seafood, stroll along the beach, explore the charming town, and watch the sunset from your balcony. Cyclists, peddle to Police Point or Roaring Beach. Dover is also an ideal base for exploring the southwest wilderness, including the Hartz Mountains National Park.
- Driftwood Cottages overlook Port Esperance Bay, framed by the magnificent ranges of the southwest wilderness. Options range from waterfront studios to the luxury of your own private peninsula.
- The Peninsula Experience offers the ultimate retreat. Explore 8km of walking trails, with abundant wildlife and birdlife, relax in your heated outdoor spa, and kick back on the deck. The Cape House boasts spectacular panoramic views, while the Boat House is perfect for a romantic escape.
- Tides Reach is a gorgeous cottage overlooking Port Esperance Bay, ideal for a romantic escape or small group getaway. Step off your private veranda onto the white sands of Pottery Beach.
- Dougals Cottage oozes a laid back beach house vibe, and is perfect for families. You can also bring the dog! Cosy up by the wood fire and enjoy stunning views over Port Esperance Bay.
- Other options include the Boat House, Waterfront Studios, and Castaway Cottage.
Southport was settled in 1837 and grew to be the largest town south of Hobart. Today, Southport is living its best life as a seaside holiday town, around an hour and a half’s drive from Hobart.
Southport is a fantastic base to explore the remote beauty of Far South Tasmania. Nearby, you can tour the spectacular Hastings Caves and Thermal Springs, and journey through history on the Ida Bay Railway. Drive to the bottom of the treasure map and discover the unspoilt beauty of Cockle Creek and the Southwest National Park.
- The Shackeau offers sublime waterfront accommodation, overlooking Southport’s beautiful bay. Enjoy stunning water views from your private hot tub, and cosy up by the wood fire.
- Other options include the Jetty House, Seaview at Southport, and Southern Forest Accommodation.
Image: The Shackeau, @essentiallytas/Instagram
Southern Charm: 8 Towns to Visit in the Huon Valley & Far South
Thrills, Hills & Skills: 9 Attractions in the Channel
Southern Gems: Four Reasons to Visit Ida Bay Railway and Hastings Caves
Good Old Fashioned Charm: Five Things To Do At Franklin
Four Reasons to Explore the Hartz Mountains National Park
The Boat House, Dover | @peninsulaexperience/Instagram